Dave's Sketch Journal

Drawing is taking a line for a walk. - Paul Klee

The Marinara Marathon Meal

Often when I travel I miss some of the meals I can make at home. I love a big Italian Sausage spaghetti meal with fresh bread and a big red.

Back in the states I usually get the sausage, marinara sauce, and Rex Goliath Merlot from Walmart. Easy pizzy.

When I get home I nuke the sausage and then slice and brown them in a saucepan. I caramelize some sweet onions and add a clove of garlic until browned and then dump in the purchased marinara sauce and lightly simmer. Finally I add the previously browned sausage to the sauce, add wine (after sampling first, always sample the wine), simmer and pour over olive oiled noodles. Serve with fresh bread. Wow.

All that has changed since arriving here.

First off, I can't find the hot spicy sausage at our China Walmart. I'll have to settle for hamburger meatballs.

Second, the pre-made marinara sauce costs an arm and a leg at the foreigner's market. (It can't be found at the Walmart here.)

What is a chef to do?

Make my own sauce, that's what. How hard can it be? How long can it take? I'll tell you how long, about two hours.

Ruth bought some fresh tomatoes from the market downstairs, dropped them on the counter, and left for the day. I was in sick so thought I'd try my hand at this marinara-making-menagerie.

I researched for this event on the Internet (gotta love the Internet). Didn't seem that hard. First I have to remove the skins from the tomatoes. It's called "blanching." (Yeah, trying to throw a little education in here so no one says they never learn anything from Dave's insomnia curing blog.)

I dumped the tomatoes into boiling water after which I then tossed them into ice water. I got a little mixed up between the pot boiling in the kitchen and the Internet directions on my computer in the living room. So instead of 5-10 tomatoes in hot water for 15 seconds, I put 15 tomatoes in the hot water for 5-10 minutes. (Okay, so this was my first attempt.)

I then removed the skins and seeds. That was the easy part. Next was the two hour simmering marathon. Every 15 minutes I'd get up to stir the pot of tomatoes, onions, spices and herbs.

It all worked out in the end. By the time I was done with the sauce I didn't have the energy to start on the hamburger so I just went meatless.

So much time, so much energy.

I keep forgetting . . . everything is manual here.

Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice.  - Henry Ford


0 Responses to “The Marinara Marathon Meal”

Post a Comment

© 2008 Dave's Sketch Journal | www.daveterry.net | Site Feed | Back to top
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.